Who We Are

St. Bartholomew's is a member of the Episcopal Church in the Diocese of Tennessee and the world wide Anglican Communion. We are followers of Jesus Christ and, as Anglicans, trace our origins back to Christ and His apostles. 


We are Trinitarian, as expressed in the Apostles’ and Nicene Creeds. 


We are Biblical, believing that God still speaks to us through the Holy Scriptures.


We are liturgical, using the Book of Common Prayer to guide our worship and shape our lives. The beliefs of the Episcopal Church are outlined in the Catechism found in the Book of Common Prayer.


We are sacramental, regularly practicing outward and visible signs of inward and spiritual grace, given by Christ as certain ways to receive that grace. The two great sacraments are Holy Baptism and Holy Eucharist. 


St. Bartholomew’s is a theologically, demographically, and socially diverse family on a journey to grow more in love with God, one another, and in our willingness to serve one another. This growth happens through worship, formation, service, evangelism, and stewardship. 


Compelled by the love of Jesus, we long to see our alienated world reconciled to God in Christ.

To Learn More

Learn more about St. B's through our publications.


Connecting who we are with what we do, the Weekly Insert contains gatherings and announcements.


The Bulletin contains all the prayers, readings, and music from the previous Sunday.


The Bell is our quarterly magazine through which we tell the stories of our people.


The Annual Report summarizes the mission and ministry of our parish family over an entire year. 


  • Type content here...


  • Type content here...


  • Type content here...


  • Type content here...

Our History

St. Bartholomew’s was the dream of Bishop E. P. Dandridge who wanted to see the Episcopal Church expand into the rapidly growing Leland neighborhood near Green Hills. Calling upon members of St. George’s in Belle Meade, he acquired both the land for the parish and some of the first families. In 1954 about sixty families living in the area gathered for their first service in the neighborhood Glendale School. Seminary students from the University of the South in Sewanee conducted most Sunday services with Holy Eucharist once a month. St. Bartholomew's quickly outgrew its mission status and was admitted as a parish to the Diocese of Tennessee in 1955.

 

At the dedication service for the sanctuary in 1965, a cross, newspaper, Bible, and Prayer Book was placed in the cornerstone of the nave, symbolically expressing its communal identity as followers of Jesus, bearers of the Good News in the world, and part of the Episcopal Church. Throughout St. B’s history, these principles of faith have been supported through the dedication of nine rectors, each using his unique gifts to lead the church toward spiritual maturity. 


Currently, St. B’s is the third largest church in the Diocese of Tennessee.